Hospitality Leaders Hospitality Leaders Menu 0
Google Translate
Hospitality Industry News, Surveys, Polls and Research, Tourism News

Attacks threaten Mozambique tourism

Profile Photo By: H L
November 12, 2013

Attacks threaten Mozambique tourism

Most resorts are clustered south of the conflict zone, but military skirmishes and attacks on cars have spooked many.  Photo: APHoteliers, tour operators and shop owners in the country’s Indian Ocean resort towns should be preparing for a deluge of holidaymakers.

White-sand beaches, pristine coral reefs and luxury hideaways draw travellers from neighbouring South Africa, the continent’s economic powerhouse, and from farther afield. Just over two million tourists now visit Mozambique each year, accounting for six per cent of the economy in 2012.

But in recent weeks clashes have intensified between fighters from revived rebel group Renamo and the army in the centre of the country. It is the worst violence since Mozambique’s brutal civil war ended in 1992, and has prompted the Foreign Office to advise against all but essential travel to the Sofala Province, with the exception of the provincial capital Beira.

Most resorts are clustered south of the conflict zone, but military skirmishes and attacks on cars travelling along a 60-mile stretch of highway south of Beira have spooked many.

“Everybody is concerned. Everybody is asking us and we are telling them we sit and wait,” said Boet Boshoff, who runs a lodge just south of the restive area.

At least two passenger buses have been set alight, and passengers and truck drivers have been shot at.

The attacks have been attributed to Renamo, a Cold War-era anti-communist force that became an opposition party after the civil war but regrouped armed fighters at a nearby base a year ago.

Security convoys with military escorts have done little to ease concern, and locals are starting to feel the pinch.

“Tourists are few, very few. They are scared,” said Issuf Maarise, who owns a truck stop near where several skirmishes have taken place. “They shoot. These guys don’t care. The army from Mozambique, they just run away.”

Bhekisisa Dhlamini, a South African businessman, was one of those who did travel to the region. Last week his convoy was attacked and he was seriously wounded.

“His rib is broken and his arm is broken from two bullets. He is very lucky because the car is finished, there are about 20 bullets in the car,” said his wife Sandra Cumbi.

Four others were also wounded in the ambush, according to local reports.

The government has gone on the offensive, raiding Renamo bases and doing everything it can to assure tourists and foreign investors that the situation is in hand.

But memories are fresh of the 16-year civil war, which killed about one million people and crippled the economy.

After hearing of the recent fighting, many who had paid deposits for December and January are trying to transfer their bookings to next year.

“Naturally clients are fearful but, as they have already paid, they don’t want to lose their money,” national tourism director Martinho Muatxiwa told AFP.

“We have little time,” he added. “At the moment they are waiting to see how the situation evolves as we are not yet in December.”

The tourists most affected are those travelling from neighbouring Zimbabwe or Malawi.

Click here to read more.

Source The Telegraph, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10440424/Attacks-threaten-Mozambique-tourism.html

News-Vorschläge

Uneingeschränkter Zugang

Erhalten Sie vollen Zugang zu Nachrichten aus Hotellerie und Gastgewerbe.

Jetzt anmelden. Kostenlos.
Oder importieren Sie Ihre Angaben aus